People aren’t so much afraid of growing old as they are of looking old.
Our bodies change as we age, especially our skin. Over time, the skin sags quite visibly, with the jawline retracting or even fading into jowls and we can lose volume in our cheeks, making us look gaunt and haggard. Gradually, the skin eventually loses its elasticity, which can also lead to fine lines, wrinkles, and other signs of aging.
This is where dermal fillers can help.
What are Dermal Fillers?
Dermal fillers are soft, gel-like substances that are injected under the skin. Filler injections usually treat concerns like smile lines, thin lips, and sagging cheeks. They can even be used to rejuvenate the appearance of wrinkled, aging hands.
Fillers are usually composed of natural substances, with the most common being hyaluronic acid (HA). This substance is naturally found in the human body, so there’s little to no risk of allergic reactions or rejection.
Aside from HA, there are also other dermal fillers that are made from calcium hydroxylapatite, poly-L-lactic acid, polymethyl methacrylate, and autologous fat.
Although the substances are all used as fillers, each one has a unique density, texture, and longevity that depends on its application to different parts of the body.
Natural fillers like HA typically last for 6 to 18 months, for example. Synthetic fillers, on the other hand, can last up to several years!
Are Dermal Fillers Effective?
Dermal fillers are safe and effective, especially in the right hands. Although there are a lot of providers out there, not all of them can produce the best, natural-looking results. Thus, it helps to look for someone who has the right credentials and training, as well as an artistic eye and light hands.
You should also be honest with your provider about what you want to achieve so they can help manage your expectations and give you the right options that will give you the best results.
In the right hands, dermal fillers can give you natural, beautiful, and more importantly, safe results.
What are the Benefits of Dermal Fillers?
Dermal fillers restore the skin’s fullness and volume. Lots of women (and men for that matter) all over the world use this treatment to look younger -and feel- younger.
The main benefits of dermal fillers include:
- adding volume to cheeks
- plumping lips
- smoothing lip lines
- rejuvenating tear troughs
Hence, applied properly, fillers can help diminish the most common signs of aging.
Unlike other treatments that can take weeks or months for the slightest improvement to show, lots of patients notice a significant improvement almost immediately after a filler injection.
Aside from the immediate and visible results, fillers also require little to no recovery time and have minimal risk. Since it’s a quick and non-invasive procedure, you can go back to your regular routine right after availing the treatment.
Who is the Best Candidate for Dermal Fillers?
For safety reasons, the FDA requires patients to be at least 21 years old before availing of dermal fillers. Aside from this age requirement, the ideal candidate is also generally in good physical shape and preferably a non-smoker.
What’s the Best Way to Prepare for the Treatment and What Should I Do After?
Before getting a filler injection, it helps to:
- Research different types of fillers and consult with your provider about what’s ideal for your desired results. You should only get fillers from experienced and qualified providers.
- Talk to your provider about the risks involved, especially if you have a history of facial cold sores. If you have allergies, you should also inform your physician.
- Don’t wax, bleach, or tweeze the treatment area for at least two days before your appointment.
- Stop taking supplements one week prior and don’t use topical products with harsh ingredients or exfoliators at least two days prior.
As for after the procedure:
- Follow your injector’s aftercare instructions to the letter to reduce bruising and to prolong your results.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for a few days after you get fillers.
- Don’t wear makeup for at least 24 hours after the procedure.
- Avoid touching, massaging, or rubbing the treated area to avoid displacing the fillers.
Many of our patients in West Palm Peach have restored their youthful volume and regained their confidence thanks to dermal fillers. For more information about the treatment, make an appointment with one of our highly trained and experienced experts today.